Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Favorite Films of 2014

Ugh. Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh. UgughghghghghghghghgGHGHGUUGHGHGhhghghghg. why.

The Oscar nominations came out.

And I don't know why I expected anything different, but surprise surprise, a powerful group of cranky old white dudes has disappointed me once more. Honestly, though, we should know better than to leave them in an enclosed space together for too long when the breathing in of their own fart fumes obviously affects their ability to make good decisions. So instead of wallowing in the whitewashed pigsty of the Academy, I have made my own list of my favorite movies from 2014.

Obvious Child


I don't think I say this quite frequently enough, but Jenny Slate is the love of my life. She's so wonderful. She's so wonderful and she's like a magical puppy dog who barks at its own farts and uses the word 'pussy' a lot and I've never loved anyone more. Also the movie itself is fantastic. Female director, charming love interest, real issues that face women, stand up comedy, feminist discussions, ~humor~. And it's a crisp 90 minutes, which is exactly the sweet spot of indie comedies. Watch on Netflix.

Birdman
amazingamazingamazingamazingwowowowowowowlikesogood. I could stare into Emma Stone's bug eyes for all eternity and I think I just might. Hilarious. Wonderfully directed. META. 

Whiplash
I gotta be honest, I love me some Miles Teller. I think he's wonderful, as is JK Simmons. This movie is so sadistic and I shit my pants 7,000 times while I was watching it. 

Wild
It's hard to really put into words the life that Cheryl Strayed has led. Thankfully, she did it for me because this film is based on her book (also called Wild super convenient thank you I have the memory of a string bean). I love this book so so much. And Reese did a wonderful job with the adaptation, which makes me happy because it's just too good of a story to fuck up. Apparently, Reese optioned the rights to make this movie before the book was even officially published, so clearly she put her heart and soul in this thing. WHAT AN EMPOWERING LADY I ALSO HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU LISTEN TO DEAR SUGAR WHICH IS A PODCAST CHERYL DOES AND SHE IS SO WISE AND HER WORDS ARE SO BEAUTIFUL. 

The Guest


hamana hamana hamana. Downton Abbey's pretty easy on the eyes, yo. Not only was this the ~hottest~ movie of 2014, but it might be my favorite horror/thriller movie of all time. BUT LIKE, WAIT. I know a lot of people don't like horror movies, but this is no Saw 7 or Final Destination 15. It's smart, and it's darkly comic at times. And there are delicious nods to Hitchcock and it acknowledges its influences on influences. I highly recommend this film. Also, dunno if I mentioned this earlier or not, but Dan Stevens is so great and also his face is pretty good. Like, look at that introductory shot. With his stupid schoolboy charm and his stupid coif and that one hair that's out of place and his icy blue eyes and his stupid smirk ugh UGH.


But seriously he's so hot I want to set myself on fire

Selma
This movie was long overdue. But they sure as hell did it right. A slow clap for Ava DuVernay. 

Gone Girl
After I saw this movie I just sort of sat around with my eyes really wide going 'fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck' for like 3 days. More female psychopaths 2K15!!!!

Snowpiercer
Visually stunning. Based on a graphic novel, though I haven't read it so I'm not sure how it compares, but you can tell. Be warned, it's very long. But it's worth it. It's also on Netflix cha-chiiiing. 

Ida
Foreign film. Haunting. Beautiful. Black and white. ~art~

The One I Love
It's best if I don't say anything about this one. Don't google it, either. Stars Mark Duplass and Elisabeth Moss, plus it's available on Netflix – if that's enough to get you interested, then just dive right in. 

The Lego Movie
NO ONE WAS EXPECTING THIS FILM (YEAH THAT'S RIGHT ~FILM~) TO BE AS EMOTIONALLY POIGNANT AS IT WAS BUT HERE WE ARE, CRYING INTO OUR BOWLS OF POPCORN. 

Nightcrawler
*shivers* so creepy. jake gyllenhaal, why are you so good at playing such creepy characters?? I want to be concerned but really I just want you to do it some more. 

We Are The Best!
Punk will never die, also on Netflix.

Top Five
I love this cast so much. I like to see this film as meta, but just on its own the narrative is really stellar. Also, the lols and Chris Rock. 

The Skeleton Twins
That's all you need, really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS